Biorefining ensiled grass into inventive feed products, INNOFEED
Project start: 1.9.2015
Project end: 31.8.2018
Project coordinator: Dr. Raija Lantto, VTT
Tekes Funding: 570 000 € (2015-2018)
Biorefining ensiled grass into inventive feed products (INNOFEED) aims at establishment of new type of biorefineries by showing why and how ensiled grass should be biorefined into a variety of inventive feed products. The need-based research of the INNOFEED project will be executed by VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd (VTT) and Natural Resources Institute Finland (Luke). Company participants include: Valio, Roal, A-Rehu, Eastman, BIOvakka, Pirteä Porsas, Pohjolan Maito and Pellon Group.
INNOFEED reflects the main aspects of the Finnish Bioeconomy strategy. It will create:
- prerequisites for competitive domestic operational environments which are less sensitive to the fluctuations on the global prices of raw materials
- new business to support for growth of bioeconomy as new centralised and/or on-farm biorefineries will be established
- strong competence basis on which bioeconomy-related business can build on by combining Luke’s grass cultivation, ensiling and feed competence with VTT’s biomass processing technology and techno-economic calculations. This collaboration will materialise as a unique consolidated process covering the whole value-chain from selection, cultivation and harvesting of grass, via processing by ensiling and biotech to a set of value feed products.
- opportunities to use more efficiently but at the same time sustainably our most abundant field grown biomass
Innofeed presentations and posters
|Biorefinery_EGF2018_Rinne_etal.pdf (10.1 MB)
Presentation ” Optimizing grass silage quality for green biorefineries” at European Grassland Federation 17-21 June 2018 in Cork, Ireland
|Poster_Grass silage_Separation efficiency _NFSC2018_Stefanski et al.pdf (861 kB)
Poster ”Grass silage for biorefinery – Separation efficiency and aerobic stability of silage and solid fraction” at Nordic Feed Science Conference 12-13 June 2018 in Uppsala, Sweden
|NFSC2018_Biorefinery_Milkproduction_Savonen_etal.pdf (7.8 MB)
Presentation ”Grass for biorefinery - Dairy cow responses to diets based on solid fraction of grass silage” at Nordic Feed Science Conference 12-13 June 2018 in Uppsala, Sweden
|Biorefinery_NFSC2018_Franco et al_PDF.pdf (6.5 MB)
Presentation ”Grass silage for biorefinery - Effect of additives on silage quality and liquid-solid separation of timothy and red clover silages” at Nordic Feed Science Conference 12-13 June 2018 in Uppsala, Sweden
|Grass silage based juice - palatability test for pigs and cows.pdf (7.3 MB)
Innofeed presentation on "Maataloustieteen Päivät" congress in Helsinki on 11 January 2018.
|Nurmibiojalostamo tarjoaa monia mahdollisuuksia ja hyötyjä.pdf (2.3 MB)
Innofeed presentation on "Maataloustieteen Päivät" congress in Helsinki on 11 January 2018 (in Finnish).
|Fibrolytic enzyme treatment prior to ensiling increases press-juice yield from grass silage.pdf (2.1 MB)
Nordic Feed Science Conference 13-14 June 2017, Uppsala, Sweden.
|Innofeed_poster_Pretreatments_2017.pdf (1.8 MB)
Poster ”Ammonia and dilute acid pretreatment of grass silage, a versatile biorefinery feedstock”
|INNOFEED_Nurmesta_rehua 4-2017.pdf (7.0 MB)
Innofeed project presentation April 2017 (in Finnish)
Articles and news around the subject of biorefining grass
- Fibrolytic enzyme treatment prior to ensiling increases press-juice yield from grass silage (Nordic Feed Science Conference 2017)
- Production of sugars from grass silage after steam explosion or soaking in aqueous ammonia (Scientific article, 2017 Elsevier B.V.)
- The "Maataloustieteen Päivät" congress in Helsinki on 11 January 2018 presentation abstracts are available in Finnish at: http://www.smts.fi/sites/smts.fi/files/MTP2018_Abstraktikirja.pdf